Thursday, April 4, 2019

The Very Hungry Caterpillar πŸ›

When I discovered that I was teaching in preschool I was rather apprehensive about being able to communicate and deliver an English lesson to children who are only just beginning to learn their mother tongue. Yet, I have grown to adore my classes with the 3-5 year olds, as it has been fascinating to see how they begin to develop (all at different paces and in different ways) their language and motor skills. I am also astounded by their capacity to learn and their ability to mirror my pronunciation almost perfectly. I particularly cherished the beautiful chorus of 'plum'.

I've loved this week in particular as we have been exploring the very hungry caterpillar and creating all sorts of fabulous things - caterpillar related of course.

It's been so wonderful to teach the children words for the first time and explore the incredible journey of a caterpillar into a butterfly (when we got to the end of the story rapturous applause ensued and mouths were left wide open in amazement).

My favourite moment from this week, and one that I will treasure, is the chaotic creation of twenty plus caterpillars from strips of coloured card. These little caterpillars all reflected the beautifully unique characters of the children. Some were sideways, some were very neat, some had smiley faces, and some were wiggling and wobbling all over the place! 




I am also constantly in awe of my colleague, FermΓ­n who never ceases to amaze me with his creativity and capacity to communicate almost solely in English throughout the lesson! I have learnt a great deal from him (and from my gorgeous pupils) and have never been happier covered in glue and green finger paint.

🍎🍐🍐πŸ₯­πŸ₯­πŸ₯­πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“πŸŠπŸŠπŸŠπŸŠπŸŠ 

No comments:

Post a Comment