Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Mime

This morning I had my first lesson with the 1 ESO class (1st year of secondary school, so a class of 11/12-year-olds)

I was meant to teach them about computer gaming, TV and something else! The thing is, I wanted to use this lesson to introduce myself and to get to know the students I will be working with. 

I started the lesson by writing 5 words about me and students had to ask questions. For example, I had the word ‘fish’, and the question was “do you like fish?” (Yes, I love fish!!)

I then chose two other students, Roberto and Rocio, to do the same thing. I got the rest of the class to help me by asking questions too.

The main activity of the lesson was for students to mime various free time activities such as “swimming, dancing, shopping etc” in groups of 4. Each group had to cut out each cards which they then had to shuffle and place down in a pile on the desk! Students took it in turns to pick up a card and mime the free time activity on the card for the other students to guess. Whoever guesses it, gets to keep the card. 

I think we had a tie in the class of 10 points!

In the same group, the cards were shuffled again but this time they played a True or False game by making a personal statement about the activity written on the card. 

For example:
listen to music

I listen to music in the shower 
(True!!)

Just before we finished, 2 students shared their personal statement for the rest of the class to guess!

I was impressed with some of the statements I heard whilst monitoring, I remember a student saying ”two weeks ago I went fishing with my father!” (False)

I think the students enjoyed themselves, so I feel pretty good!




No comments:

Post a Comment